UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA PORTFOLIO: OFFICE OF THE PRINCIPAL AND VICE CHANCELLOR DEPARTMENT: LEADERSHIP AND TRANSFORMATION POSITION: DIRECTOR: SCHOLARSHIP CHANGE (P4) (5-YEAR FIXED-TERM CONTRACT) (Ref: D:SC/Scholar/GRM/2020)
The University of South Africa (UNISA) is a publicly funded Higher Education Institution in South Africa, dedicated to distance education. In keeping with its mandate as a comprehensive, Open and Distance Learning (ODL) Institution offering a variety of academic and career-focused programmes, UNISA is inviting applications for the position of Director: Scholarship Change. To formulate and execute the function of Scholarship Change in line with the UNISA 2016- 2030 Strategy, the ODeL Business Model and the Institutional Transformation Strategy. Key duties/responsibilities Key Performance Area 1 (20%): Strategic Direction and Alignment
- Developing operational plans and KPIs in support of the departmental strategy in support of the institution’s overall vision and strategy
- Executing the Directorate’s operational plan and procedures to support the ODeL 2016-2030 Strategy
- Interpreting policies to lower levels and ensuring alignment with the Directorate’s operational plan
- Developing and implementing a strategy and programmes to decolonise, Africanise, diversify/differentiate and indigenise scholarship at the university. Key Performance Area 2 (40%): Operational Leadership and Execution
- Providing tactical and operational leadership regarding all operations of the Directorate from an overall perspective, which includes: o Promoting scholarship initiatives that are socially responsive to the human resource development of the country and continent o Transforming epistemology, knowledge and scholarship for the transformation of the academic project so as to enhance its relevance and fitness of purpose o Promoting African thought, philosophies, interests and epistemologies through inquiry, scholarship and partnership o Organizing regular debates via seminars, colloquia, conferences and focus groups to explore the nature of knowledge production, epistemic justice and an infusion of new thought paradigms.
- Championing the transformation of scholarship programme that would lead to the substantive social and cultural transformation of the university, including the higher education sector and the society at large.
- Fostering the relationships and networks with internal and external stakeholders.
Key Performance Area 3 (10%): Forecasting, Budgeting and Financial Management
- Managing the Directorate’s resources efficiently, effectively, economically and in accordance with the relevant principles and policies of Unisa.
- Compiling and managing the Directorate’s budget in line with the Departmental budget
- Managing the process of allocation of financial resources within the Directorate
- Safeguarding the assets allocated to the Directorate. Key Performance Area 4 (10%): People Management
- Ensuring a high performance culture in the Directorate through taking accountability for an effective and well-articulated performance management process
- Ensuring the implementation of training and development programmes for staff, including personal development plans (PDPs)
- Establishing a positive, healthy and safe work environment and culture in accordance with the Transformation Charter
- Directing the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices
- Building a robust, effective talent and leadership pipeline, succession and HR capacity. Key Performance Area 5 (20%): Governance and Reporting
- Monitoring and reporting on progress against operational initiatives
- Monitoring and reporting on legislative and statutory compliance
- Promoting sound institutional governance and participating in Institutional governance structures (Professional Citizenship)
- Ensuring the development and implementation of policies and procedures
- Compiling regular reports to Council, its committees and other relevant structures
- Ensuring that there is proper record keeping of all aspects within field of responsibility.
Doctoral Degree and registration with the relevant professional body where applicable Experience Minimum 10 years of relevant Higher Education experience with at least 5 years’ experience on managerial role.
Competencies/capabilities Technical competencies
- Technology astuteness
- Corporate and good governance
- Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) regulations and other relevant legislation
- Management principles, methodologies and tools
- Problem solving and root cause identification skills
- Acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges
- Policy development and implementation
- Knowledge of Tertiary Education Institutions.
Assumption of duty: As soon as possible
Salary: Remuneration is commensurate with the seniority of the Position.
Closing Date: 15 May 2020
Enquiries: Ms A Mavhungu – 012 429 3048 or Mr R Masingi- 012 429-4606
CV’s must be sent to [email protected] Interested candidates should send a detailed covering letter indicating their suitability for the position, a detailed comprehensive
Curriculum Vitae, and copies of:
- All educational qualifications;
- Identity document; and
- Proof of SAQA verification of foreign qualifications, where relevant.
- The contact details of three contactable references must be provided, one which must be from your present employer. Should you not be currently employed a contactable reference from your previous employer must be provided. The detailed advertisement together with the prescribed application form can be found on the Unisa website (http://www.unisa.ac.za/vacancies) Unisa is not obliged to fill an advertised position. Late, incomplete and incorrect applications will not be considered. We welcome applications from persons with disabilities. Appointments will be made in accordance with Unisa’s Employment Equity Plan and other applicable legislation.
- Organizational change management, transformation and implementation
- Project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle