NWA | COMPUTATIONAL LINGUIST
REF: NORT/FOHM/FOHM/VR/COMPUTATIONAL LINGUIST/POTCHEFSTROOM/190420
NORTH-WEST UNIVERSITY (POTCHEFSTROOM CAMPUS)
FACULTY OF HUMANITIES
SOUTH AFRICAN CENTRE FOR DIGITAL LANGUAGE RESOURCES (SADiLaR)
VACANCY: COMPUTATIONAL LINGUIST
Purpose of the position: This position is crucial for research and development in Digital Humanities (DH) and Human Language Technology (HLT) that form the essence of SADiLaR, which is a national centre supported by the Department of Science and Innovation (DSI). This Centre operates as a new research entity hosted by the North-West University and initiates and co-ordinates dedicated projects executed by the centre itself, as well as by the nodes comprising of the University of Pretoria, the University of South Africa, the CSIR, CTexT, as well as a partnership (ICELDA) of four South African Universities.
- PhD in either Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing, General Linguistics, Human Language Technology, Digital Humanities, Computer Science, Information Technology, Communication Technology or Artificial Intelligence with a clear focus on computational aspects of linguistics.
- Five years’ applicable experience in the use of Python (recommended). Other programming languages used within the computational linguistics domain can also be considered.
- Five years’ experience in the use of different operating systems including Linux.
- Experience as a supervisor/co-supervisor of postgraduate students.
- Three years’ experience in the publication of peer reviewed academic articles and research reports.
Other competency requirements
- Advanced computer literacy.
- Advance technical knowledge of computer systems (hardware and software) related to the functioning of a data centre.
- Knowledge of national and international standards applicable to the curation of language resources.
- Ability to produce academic publications.
- Ability to lead research projects.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively liaise and communicate with public, students, and colleagues at various levels and from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstration of language proficiency in order to function optimally in the various multilingual environments of the NWU.
- Five years’ proven track record in the acquisition, enhancement, and management of language resources.
- Five years’ experience in presentation of research-based results at national and international conferences.
- Five years’ experience related to research and teaching within the domain of Language Technology or Digital Humanities.
- Three years’ experience in driving projects related to Natural Language Processing or Human Language Technologies or Digital Humanities.
- Proven record of acquiring research funding.
- Research and teaching.
- Computational support.
Total remuneration package: Market related
ENQUIRIES: Prof Menno van Zaanen ,018 2852 743
CLOSING DATE: 10 May 2020
COMMENCEMENT OF DUTIES: As soon as possible
TO APPLY: Please visit NWU vacancies/intranet to apply for this position. (pnet)
FIND MORE JOBS