Discovery’s core purpose is to make people healthier and to enhance and protect their lives. We seek out and invest in exceptional individuals who understand and support our core purpose, and whose own values align with those of Discovery. Our fast-paced and dynamic environment enables smart, self-driven people to be their best. As global thought leaders, Discovery is passionate about innovating in order to not only achieve financial success, but to ignite positive and meaningful change within our society.
About Vitality Group
Vitality Group, a subsidiary of Discovery Limited offers a wellness platform program to global insurance companies that provides innovative health to foster healthier and happier lives. Vitality Group is responsible for the expansion of the Vitality Shared-Value Insurance business model beyond South Africa and the UK, serving to fully leverage the assets and intellectual property of Discovery beyond its primary markets.
Vitality Group operates a business providing wellness solutions to employer groups in the United States and partners with leading Insurers across the world to launch and grow Vitality Shared-Value Insurance in their markets. Vitality Group is also responsible for Discovery’s 25 percent equity investment in Ping An Health, the largest comprehensive medical insurer in China. Vitality Group’s businesses jointly reach more than 10 million members across 23 countries (Austria, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, the United Kingdom, the United States, New Zealand, Ecuador, Vietnam and the Netherlands).
Designs, develops, and implements Android mobile applications to support business requirements. Follows approved life cycle methodologies, creates design documents, writes code and performs unit and functional testing of software. Contributes to the overall architecture and standards of the group, acts as an SME and plays a software governance role.
Android developers must be able to technically support and maintain the deployed applications on dev, test and production environments.
Areas of responsibility may include but not limited to
The senior Android developer must have a competent understanding of:
- The system development life cycle and can explain the Java developer role in each stage
- The defined system development tools, processes and workflows
- The distinction between business, functional and non-functional requirements and how to implement them
- The importance of delivering high-quality source code and how to achieve it
- The technologies used and the components of the system structure
- The domain and business terminologies and link them back to system implementations
Senior Android developers should be able to demonstrate that they can:
- Develop, test, and maintain the deployed application software with high quality
- Collaborate with product managers and designers to ensure a successful, high-quality product and great user experience
- Analyze, maintain and enhance existing applications and troubleshoot issues with efficiency.
- Perform accurate development estimation
- Produce technical specifications and designs. Participate in new business development through ideation, prototype development, and project estimates
- Research new techniques, tools, and best practices and share that knowledge with the team and community
- Maintain high standards
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-starter who takes ownership is accountable and is able to work under minimum supervision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Can help with quality assurance and provide comments
Within 6 months of being in the position, a senior Android developer should be able to demonstrate strong domain knowledge and technologies in relation to the environment that they work in.
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Learns on the Fly
- Instils Trust
- People Savvy
- Drives Results
- Problem Solver
Education and Experience
Matric. A diploma or degree in IT would be advantageous.
- 4 years of proven experience as an Android developer
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies
- Experience with software development in a test-driven environment
- Excellent understanding and application of design principles
- Familiar with UML
- Ability to learn new languages and technologies
- Excellent communication skills and being able to work independently or in a full team
- Resourcefulness and troubleshooting aptitude
- Attention to detail
- Have worked on at least 1 app published in the App or Play Store
- SoapUI (SOAP) / REST client (JSON)
- Android Studio
- Atlassian tool suite (Jira, Confluence)
- WebLogic, Apache
- XML, JSON
- SOAP and REST Web Service Development
- 2+ year user interface analyst experience (preferred)
- Java-related degree/qualification (preferred)
- Honors degree (preferred)
- Business experience and product knowledge (preferred)
The Company’s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process. As an Equal Opportunities employer, we actively encourage and welcome people with various disabilities to apply.