Database Administrator Senior (35457)
Discovery’s core purpose is to make people healthier and to enhance and protect their lives. We seek out and invest in exceptional individuals who understand and support our core purpose, and whose own values align with those of Discovery. Our fast-paced and dynamic environment enables smart, self-driven people to be their best. As global thought leaders, Discovery is passionate about innovating in order to not only achieve financial success, but to ignite positive and meaningful change within our society.
Vitality Group, a subsidiary of Discovery Limited offers a wellness platform program to global insurance companies that provides innovative health to foster healthier and happier lives. Vitality Group is responsible for the expansion of the Vitality Shared-Value Insurance business model beyond South Africa and the UK, serving to fully leverage the assets and intellectual property of Discovery beyond its primary markets.
Vitality Group operates a business providing wellness solutions to employer groups in the United States and partners with leading Insurers across the world to launch and grow Vitality Shared-Value Insurance in their markets. Vitality Group is also responsible for Discovery’s 25 percent equity investment in Ping An Health, the largest comprehensive medical insurer in China. Vitality Group’s businesses jointly reach more than 10 million members across 22 countries (Austria, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, the United Kingdom, the United States, New Zealand, Ecuador and Vietnam).
Vitality Group is looking for a Senior Database Administrator (DBA). The selected candidate will become a member of the Database Administration Team and will be responsible for building and managing databases in a cloud (AWS) environment. S/he will be working very closely with the Developers, Data Architects and the Business Analysts. This is a demanding role that will require an expert in database management and design, optimization, performance tuning including extensive knowledge of SQL scripting.
Areas of responsibility may include but not limited to
- Design and implement database in accordance to database standards and policies
- Conduct Performance Tuning, Query Optimization Initiatives, and assist the team in troubleshooting and resolving performance related issues.
- Determine, enforce and document database policies, procedures and standards
- Implement database changes/deployments and apply new patches and versions when required
- Administration of PostgreSQL databases throughout the development and production lifecycles in a AWS environment
- After hours on-call support for production incidents
- Responsible for database capacity planning/space management/entitlement management of the schemas
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Problem solving skills and ability to think algorithmically
- Working knowledge of at least one scripting language (shell, Python, Perl, PL/SQL)
- Ability to adapt quickly to an existing, complex environment and learn new technologies as needs arise
- Ability to re-prioritize on a regular basis in order to remain current with business need
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (RDS, EC2, EBS, S3, etc.) preferred
- Solid and strong background on any Linux distro
- Experience working in Agile teams
Education and Experience
- BSc Degree or Higher Diploma with 5 years of DBA experience with PostgreSQL (beneficial) and other relational databases.
- At least 7 years experience in administering on-prem/cloud-based multiuser environment
- Advanced SQL coding, tuning and query optimization
- Expert RDBMS Database Administrator Certification
- SCM (source code management) using Git or other tools
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Team Leader experience is beneficial
The Company’s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process. As an Equal Opportunities employer, we actively encourage and welcome people with various disabilities to apply.