This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Transnet and its Operating Divisions (ODs) are committed to the transformation of the workplace and the constitutional imperatives enshrined in the Employment Equity Act. Transnet will give preference to suitably qualified applicants who are members of the designated groups defined as Black people (including African and Coloured Females of all ethnic groups and people living with disabilities who are citizens of the Republic of South Africa by birth or descent, or become citizens of the Republic of South Africa by naturalisation; in line with Transnet and its Operating Divisions Employment Equity Policy and Plan..
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
E-mail : [email protected]
The closing date is on 05.06.2020. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email [email protected]
Operating Division : Transnet Pipelines
Position Title : Electrician CP: Alrode, Jamesonpark, Kroonstad
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Engineering
Location : Alrode
Reporting To : Cathodic Protect Field Technician Alrod
Grade Level : I3
Reference Number : 40001133
The incumbent of this post is responsible for electrical maintenance and repairs of the pipeline in classified locations and potentially explosive atmospheres to international standards.
1. PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE
To perform preventative maintenance tasks on electrical equipment by detecting, repairing and reporting defects, thereby ensuring reliable equipment for the continuous operation of the pipeline e.g. Transformer Rectifier Units (TRU), Forced Drainage Units (FDU), Natural Drainage Units (NDU), AC Mitigation.
2. DEFECT REPAIR
- Identify, analyse and repair defects on installed (live) equipment. Repair specific installed (live) equipment by performing diagnostic tests to identify defects and effect repairs. Reading and understanding schematics and computerised reports.
3. Cathodic Protection
Key roles included: Installation, monitoring and maintenance of a remote monitoring system.
- Maintenance, fault-finding and repairs on Transnet pipeline rectifier units.
- Carrying out duties in and around petrochemical environments.
- CP Tests and surveys ( Soil resistivity, PCM, Data logging)
- CP installations (General)
- Take responsibility for the installation, commissioning and maintenance of systems which form part of projects countrywide
- Interpret Electrical drawing and panel wiring
- Test insulation Flange , CP bonding and wrapping
- And all other CP related equipment
4. REFURBISHMENT AND MODIFICATION OF ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT
- Refurbishing equipment by disassembling the equipment, replacing defective parts, reassembling and testing the equipment
to the manufacturers specification e.g.
- Transformers Rectifier Units
- Forced Drainage Units
- Natural Drainage Units
- AC Mitigation
6. HIGH VOLTAGE EQUIPMENT
Obtaining authorisation and undertaking switching (A-Brown) and earthing on high voltage switchgear and equipment, issuing
of work and test permits as well as undertaking maintenance of the above equipment. Also supervise unathorised personnel
in substations and HT yards
Work to a clearance of live high voltage equipment as per electrical instruction
- Attend Meetings
- Do Safety Inspections
- Use of safety equipment
- Ensure compliance of Equipment for flameproof safety and standards
- HT – Ensure safety of personnel
The effective control of administration duties which includes:-
- Reports (defect, inspection)
- Obtain and cancel hot and cold work permits (Electrical and Mechanical)
- Job cards
- Operate SAP Modules (PM & IM)
9. INTELLIGENT PIGGING
Monitor an Intelligent Pigging process during a pipeline survey by identifying suitable monitoring points, installing monitoring
devices, observing the actual time of arrival of the Intelligent Pig, reporting the relevant information to all role players
timeously as well as undertaking defect repairs.
Qualifications & Experience:
Trade Test Electrical (3 years) with 3 years Electrical on the Job experience. Must have adequate knowledge of Cathodic
Protection and Electrical equipment in a Petrochemical environment to be able to function on his/her own. The following
courses must be passed with practical on the job experience during the three years’ experience in TRANSNET PIPELINES.
Computer literate SAP Course in Plant Maintenance (MM & IM Modules).
Inventory, Word Excel, etc.
High Voltage safety instructions (A-Brown) Thereafter a person has to get practical experience (training) on depots in the
region until passed out. He/she has to attend a refresher course every two years.
GHSTC (Safety) course
Code 08 drivers licence
Working in confined spaces
Cathodic Protection course ( Basic course)
Theory: Operations Course: Thereafter a person has to get practical experience (training) on the depot where based until
passes out on depot/manifold(s)
Knowledge of testing instruments i.e. Megger, Holiday detector, etc
Hazardous area training
First Aid Level 11
Hot Work Permit
Chillers and HVAC
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management & Supervisory skills
- Conflict Handling Skills
- Problem Solving skills
The post Transnet: Artisan Assistant-June 2020 appeared first on Latest Jobs.