Discovery Health | Big Data Developer (30151)
Discovery’s core purpose is to make people healthier and to enhance and protect their lives. We seek out and invest in exceptional individuals who understand and support our core purpose, and whose own values align with those of Discovery. Our fast-paced and dynamic environment enables smart, self-driven people to be their best. As global thought leaders, Discovery is passionate about innovating in order to not only achieve financial success but to ignite positive and meaningful change within our society.
About Discovery Health Systems
The Discovery Health Systems (DHS) is a world-class software development house that enables the Discovery Health Business to use digital transformation as a competitive advantage. It focuses on rapid quality software delivery. Innovation and excellence are key attributes to all our initiatives. The skills and expertise in the team allow a diverse product development on all strategic, tactical and operational changes. Our environment is fast-paced and demands energy, drive, enthusiasm, ownership and creativity, but it rewards with an extremely fulfilling and stimulating environment that actively supports career growth and development.
To join our Big Data team with the responsibility of developing frameworks for the automation of batch and streaming data ingest and the production rising Big Data applications based on the models developed by our Data Scientists.
Areas of responsibility may include but not limited to
- Assist in the development of solutions for the ingestion of data into the Big Data environment. This includes the transformation of data using XSLT and code-based techniques
- Assist in developing framework(s) for running solutions (on predefined schedule) in production. These solutions could be models, extracts of data, updates to OLTP DBs etc.
- Be involved in each project to provide any project-specific tailoring in order to ensure that at the end of the project the solution is ready to run in production.
- Develop real-time decision support systems within the Big Data environment that interface with another operational production system. These should primarily be real-time stream-based.
- Focused knowledge of and interest in Big Data
- In-depth Python knowledge
- Scala knowledge – highly advantageous
- Knowledge of the Hadoop ecosystem
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Agile and Waterfall methodologies
- Python experience (extensive)
- Java (some)
- Scala (some)
- Pip, Maven + CI
- ORM/Hibernate/JPA experience,
- ELK Stack
- Kafka, JMS, Tibco EMS experience
- Oracle and PL/SQL knowledge
- Experience using formal modeling languages (UML, ArchiMate etc) and modeling tools (Enterprise Architect, Visual Paradigm etc.)
- Exposure to Agile principles and methodologies, including Continuous Integration and Test-Driven Development
- Technical Lead experience
- Self-starter who takes ownership is accountable and is able to work with minimal supervision.
- Passionate about technology and development.
- Results-oriented with the ability to work under pressure and juggle multiple concurrent projects with changing priorities and deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to deal with complexity and migrate between detailed and high-level requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Education and Experience
- Matric/Grade 12 and formal Java qualifications.
- IT-related Degree or Diploma (BSc/BTech or similar).
- 3+ years of Python development experience
- 1+ years Java/scala systems development experience.
- Experience with XML/XSD and Web Services.
- Unit testing and mocking frameworks.
- Knowledge of OO design principles and development patterns.
The Company’s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process. As an Equal Opportunities employer, we actively encourage and welcome people with various disabilities to apply.