About Group Compliance
To provide sound advice regarding legislation, regulations, industry standards, codes, guidelines, and best practices to operational management/projects and business units through the application of Compliance Risk Management principles, policies, processes, and procedures.
The success of Discovery is made possible by our great people. Group Compliance strives to be the most trusted and respected compliance practice in the financial services sector and our motto should reflect that we are, Trusted, Visible, and Respected within the Discovery Group.
Our Group Compliance department is looking for a knowledgeable, self-starter to join the team as a Corporate Compliance Specialist to be responsible for the managing of compliance risks though the employ of policies and frameworks pertaining to our corporate regulatory obligations.
The role will serve the key Group functions, including but not limited to: Marketing, Finance, IT, Business Continuity, Outsourcing areas, People, Tax, Sustainability, and will also have to work with the Secretariat, Risk, Compliance teams and Executives.
Areas of responsibility may include but not limited to
- Assisting management to define, set and manage compliance frameworks, policies and standards Corporate Compliance;
- Attend to Regulatory change management affecting the group of companies;
- Develop and maintain regulatory frameworks (CRMPs) applicable to the function;
- Be responsible for version control and store of documentation related to Corporate Compliance;
- Compliance monitoring of the applicable shared services and other functions comprising the portfolio and provide compliance assurance;
- Identify and evaluate compliance exposures/regulatory breaches and keep the incident and breaches register up to date;
- Provide written guidance to business on complex compliance issues;
- Identification and evaluation of compliance exposures/regulatory breaches in line with the compliance materiality framework;
- Reporting on incident management;
- Inform and draft reports, respond to requests and resolve queries;
- Provide compliance guidance to the business units
- Ensure that the Group Compliance and departmental annual objectives are met;
- Key liaison with stakeholders across the Discovery corporate entities;
- Monitor the efficiency and consistency of compliance controls, compliance measures, and oversight arrangements; and
- Engage on and fulfill the requirements of the relevant compliance monitoring programs.
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Understand the key pieces of legislation affecting a global corporate entity (i.e. laws and regulations impacting the group of companies relating to SARS, BBBEE, Occupational Health and Safety, CIPC requirements, Human Resources, Sustainability, Governance codes, Advertising, Consumer laws and business continuity amongst others);
- Understands business models and risk;
- Writes in a well- structured and logical way;
- Ability to write and review compliance policies and compliance guidance notes;
- Strong listening, organizational and communication skills;
- Work independently and as part of a team when required;
- Efficient time management skills, including quick turnaround time on work;
- Attention to detail;
- Takes ownership of work;
- Focus on understanding the implementation of regulations and aligning this to a business model;
- Able to work well under pressure;
- Legislative knowledge and interpretation;
- The ability to think in an analytical and conceptual manner.
Education and Experience
- Completed relevant tertiary degree/s
- Bachelor of Commerce and / or Bachelor of Laws (advantageous)
- Post-graduate qualification in Compliance Management (advantageous)
- Five to eight years’ experience within a compliance environment with a working knowledge of the laws, regulations, and codes holistically impacting a group of companies, as mentioned in this document.
The Company’s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process. As an Equal Opportunities employer, we actively encourage and welcome people with various disabilities to apply.