This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
E-mail : [email protected]
The closing date is on 19.08.2020. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email [email protected]
Operating Division : Transnet Engineering
Position Title : Snr Engineer (Welding) Bloemfontein
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Engineering
Location : Germiston
Reporting To : Chief Engineer (Services)
Grade Level : E
Reference Number : 30012530
To provide input to the welding element of the design process; to support manufacturing during project execution specifically focussing on welding aspects of production; input to the design of welds; specifying the correct consumables; developing and records; providing technical guidance during the prototype build as well as in-line inspections; failure investigations and the subsequent development of repair procedures. The incumbent will be reporting directly to the Principle Engineer at Bloemfontein.
1. Welding design input on new and existing designs.
2. Development of welding procedure specifications.
3. Welding design changes on prototypes.
4. Technical reviews.
5. Input to procurement for sub-contracting and subsequent audits of Sub-contractors.
6. Interaction with customers.
7. Development of welds maps, sequences and process amendments for prototypes followed by controlled roll-out in production.
8. Management of welding inspection.
9. Recommendation of the appropriate NDT.
10. Set up of QMS and certification of the plant to governing construction codes.
11. Approval of equipment; consumables and machinery to be used for welding processes.
12. Approval of welding on prototype
Qualifications & Experience:
1. Applicable Engineering Degree (B-ENG/BSC) (Metallurgical, Mechanical or equivalent)
2. Registration as International Welding Engineer (IWE)
3. Minimum of 6 Years Relevant Experience in the Welding Environment
4. MEng/MSc in welding Engineering will be an added advantage
5. Internal applicants must have completed 12 consecutive months in their current position
- Reporting and Presentation skills.
- Time management skills and the ability to prioritise and juggle several projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to interpret and understand designs and drawings.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant welding codes, specifications and procedures with specific application skills.
- Computer Literacy.
- Knowledge of ISO9001; ISO3843 and EN15085.
- Engineering and production processes
- Problem solving and analysis
- Systematic thinking
- Inspirational Leadership
- Business performance & Delivery and communication
- Pro-active and driven
- Team work
- Work under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Quality orientated
- Strategic Thinking
- Commercial Awareness
- Inspiring People
- Managing Talent
- Leading Change
- Embracing Change
- Lead Business Performance
- Strategic Decision Making
- Business Acumen
- Communicating Effectively
- Collaborating and Networks
- Service Oriented
- Persuading and Influencing
- Leading Good Governance
- Leading Safety Practices
- Leading Risk Management
- Learning and Applying Expertise
- Emotional Intelligence
- Vigour and Personal Drive