Advancement in the field of science is one of the most important parameters for the development of a society and nation as a whole. The youths of a nation are the future leaders and hence, their upliftment and development are of utmost importance.
Keeping this in mind, the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) Bursary works to aid deserving students and prepare them to become leaders in specific fields.
About CSIR & its Bursary Program
Established in the year 1945, CSIR is the central research and development organization in South Africa which covers 10% of the African R&D budget. It is based in Pretoria with a campus of its own and staff strength of 3000 technical and scientific researchers.
The CSIR bursary program is based on merit and aims to financially support young people who are academic performers but do not have the means to fund their studies. This institution also aims to encourage female and black students in the fields of Science, Engineering, and Technology.
Students pursuing undergraduate to an Honours degree in the fields that are a priority to CSIR are awarded this Bursary.
Students of the following fields are funded by CSIR:
Aeronautical Engineering, Applied Physics, Bio-Informatics, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science with Chemistry, Biotechnology, Computer Science, Data Science/Modelling, Material Science, Mechanical Engineering, Physical Metallurgy, Economic Science, Information Systems, Extractive Metallurgy, and many others.
Undergraduate-Honours Degree (Corporate/Support)
B.Com/BTech in Accounting for Risk Management
The Master’s degree comprises various Research Groups like Human and Societal systems, Advanced material engineering, Optronic Sensor systems, and so on. Each research group has a specific field of study and requires certain qualifications.
Who can apply?
Current Grade 12 Students
- Must be South African citizens
- Must have the intention to enroll full-time at the South African Public University for a degree of choice
- English Level 5
- Mathematics Level 6
- Physical Science Level 6
Current University Students
- South African Citizen
- Have the intention to join South African University full-time for a degree of choice.
- Unemployed student
- BSc, B Eng., BSc Honours or B Tech and MSc
- Current MSc students who want to pursue a PhD
Postgraduate (Master & Doctoral)
- Be a South African citizen
- Studying full-time in one of the courses recognized by CSIR
- Be studying at a recognized University in South Africa
- Impressive technical skills
- Scientific writing skills
- Par excellence academic record
- Motivated to conduct research
- Be self-motivated and possess ability to work independently and in a team
- Organizational and time management skills
- Report writing capability
- Must be able to work under pressure and must possess the strength to meet the scheduled deliveries
- Good command over verbal and oral communication
- Must have the ability to take initiative
The Application Process
You need to apply online for the CSIR Bursary Program if you successfully meet all the eligibility criteria mentioned above.
It is important to note that the application form should be filled thoroughly. Any incomplete application can be rejected and the bursary will not be granted.
Attach the following documents along with your application
- An updated copy of your CV
- Certified ID document (barcoded)
- An application letter mentioning the field of study you intend to apply for.
- High School students are required to attach their grade 11 and matric results (certified).
- For tertiary students, it is mandatory to attach their matric and latest transcript. Students enrolled at multiple universities for their tertiary studies should combine all their transcripts in one document.
- Candidates under 18 years of age must comply with POPI regulations and submit a consent form signed by their parents/guardians with a certified copy of their ID document.
- Only complete applications will be accepted
- The Bursary will be allocated for the academic year 2022
- The Bursary covers all the costs related to the University studies
- Students will receive a confirmation email once their application is received
- Students whose applications are rejected will be advised
- Selected candidates will require to attend an interview
The CSIR calls upon all the interested and enthusiastic candidates to enroll for this bursary if their field of interest is Research, technology development, and innovation, or corporate/support areas.
The closing date for the CSIR Bursary application is 30 July 2021.
The post Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) Bursary 2022 appeared first on All Bursaries SA.