The South African Bursary programs have been started to support and uplift African students who have the capability of making a bright future. There are several bursary programs that aim to support students in various fields of study. The Klaus-Jurgen Bathe Leadership Scholarship is one such program that funds deserving students and helps them to achieve a successful career.
Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships Program
The Klaus-Jurgen Bathe Leadership Program was started in the year 2014. It was established at the University Of Cape Town (UCT) through a gift donated by Professor Klaus-Jurgen Bathe of Massachusetts (USA).
The bursary aims to produce graduates with exceptional and impressive leadership qualities by providing them with the required financial support. In doing so, the bursary goal is to have capable, strong, and intelligent candidates in the African economy.
The Klaus-Jurgen Bathe Leadership Scholarship nurtures the undergraduate students and aids them in becoming the leaders of tomorrow by tackling the issues at the national level and taking their country onto the path of success.
This Bursary is awarded to students pursuing an undergraduate degree in any field of study at the UTC.
Scholarship Eligibility and Requirements
- Students who demonstrate a potential to become national leaders and make an impact in the business, government, and civil society or industry.
- The primary criteria of selection are the academic merits of students and leadership potential. Only those students are eligible for the bursary who have financial in capabilities.
- To prove academic excellence, a student must score an average of 65% marks in the first-semester courses. Those applying in the second or subsequent must score a cumulative grade of at least 65%.
- First preference will be given to South African students and permanent residents followed by the nationals of other African countries.
- Students who are not citizens/residents of South Africa must commit to the following:
- Reside in South Africa and serve the country for at least 10 years after their studies or
- Move to another South African Union and while serving that country and also work closely with South Africa in solving the problems faced by the continent.
- Another eligibility criterion for this bursary is that students should apply 2 years before the end of the undergraduate program. Thus, students pursuing a 3-year program should apply in the first year and those doing the 4-year degree should apply in the 2nd
- In addition to the degree program that the students are pursuing, they are also required to take up 2 additional UTC courses (one course per year) for developing leadership attributes.
- Students will be required to spend 6 weeks with an organization in South Africa, Germany, or the USA learning sound leadership practices.
How to Apply and Application Details
Students can apply online using this electronic form and after completing they should submit it via email as a PDF attachment to Mrs. Tammy Matose at: [email protected]. In addition to the application form, students are also required to attach the following supporting documents.
- Certified ID document
- Certified Matric certificate
- Full academic record on UTC letterhead
- A motivational letter in support of your application
- Leadership position proof (school, university, or community)
The supporting documents must be delivered to:
Mrs. Tammy Matose
Programme Administrator Klaus-Jurgen Bathe Leadership Programme
Room 6.19, Menzies Building
UTC Upper Campus
Telephone: 021 650 1228
- The full value of the scholarship is R120, 000 per year which includes tuition fees, accommodation, meal expenses, and allowance for books, stationery, and transport.
- Students should perform well in the first academic year as the renewal of the scholarship for the second year is dependent on their performance in the first year.
- Those students whose applications are accepted and get shortlisted are required to attend an interview. The interview will revolve around topics of global relevance, students’ plans on becoming future African leaders, and why they deserve this scholarship.
- Applicants are required to submit the relevant information about their families and financial status as well.
- Students cannot hold this scholarship for less than 2 years.
- Postgraduates are not eligible to apply for the Klaus-Jurgen Bathe Leadership Programme.
It is important to note that students who wish to apply for this bursary program must fulfill all the eligibility criteria, submit the application in full (missing information or documents can lead to rejection of application), and be willing to follow the conditions of the Bursary.
The closing date for the application is 31 August 2021.
The post Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships 2022 – 2023 appeared first on All Bursaries SA.