Human Sciences Research Council
Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
In delivering ‘social science that makes a difference’, the Research Programmes of the Human Sciences Research Council initiate and undertake policy-oriented research projects and programmes from its offices in Cape Town, Durban, Pietermaritzburg, Port Elizabeth and Pretoria. Its public-purpose mandate is set out in the Human Sciences Research Council Act of 2008.
The Centre for Community Based Research (CCBR) exists within the Division of Human and Social Capabilities (HSC). The mission of the CCBR is to understand, identify and improve community wellbeing by exploring, describing and addressing health, education, and quality of life through novel mixed-methods approaches that combines multidisciplinary capacities, and to serve as a hub for knowledge generation, capacity building and training.
Through engagement and advocacy for community-informed approaches, the CCBR is a champion for this work within the Division and across the HSRC. The CCBR currently have staff in both Durban and Pietermaritzburg with plans to grow activities and capacity beyond the borders of the Sweetwaters.
The CCBR seeks to appoint suitably qualified persons to take on the responsibilities of an Office Assistant: Cleaner. In this position, a successful candidate will be required to dust surfaces, vacuum and mop floors, and clean windows. The cleaner should also be able to remove stains from the various surface.
The Office Assistant will report to the Clinical Services Manager. This position is offered on a 12-month contract
Office Assistant: Cleaner
Office base: Sweetwaters, Pietermaritzburg
- Vacuuming, sweeping, and mopping floors of various types.
- Dusting ceilings, light fittings, countertops, and loose furniture.
- Scrubbing and sanitizing toilets, sinks, and kitchen fixtures.
- Emptying trash bins.
- Washing and drying windows.
- Liaising with the line manager to ensure that you have sufficient cleaning products at all times.
- Reporting any breakages that occur during the cleaning process.
- Informing the line manager of repairs that need to be done.
- Carrying out any other activities deemed necessary for the effective and productive functioning of the office.
- Able to complete tasks on time with minimal supervision.
- Available to work mornings and evenings, plus weekends, as needed.
- High school leaving certificate or equivalent is advantageous.
- Proven experience in a similar role.
- Able to use a variety of cleaning products and equipment.
- Able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Excellent organizational skills.
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Ability to problem solve, and to be well organized.
- Are able to work accurately, independently and in a team
- Willingness to work after hours and over weekends and in rural communities
Applicants will be required to take a practical skills assessment test as part of the interview process.
The HSRC offers attractive, market-related packages depending on qualifications and experience.
Applications: In your application, please include: your CV, a letter of motivation, and the details of three recent referees (with telephone, fax and e-mail contact details). On the letter of motivation please state and include the mission of the CCBR. Ensure that you indicate the reference number of the position for which you are applying. The HSRC will only consider applications that comply with the above requirements. Applicants may be required to undertake a written exercise or an oral presentation in the competencies required for the position.
Please note the following:
- Ensure you use Google Chrome or Firefox from a computer or laptop, and not a cell phone
- Only your CV can be uploaded on the first page after you have registered/logged in.
- ALL OTHER DOCUMENTS can be uploaded on the “Document” tab on your profile
- Attachments must be less than 2 MB.
- Please submit your application on-line at http://hsrc.jb.skillsmapafrica.com/
- Should you have any HR enquiries please send your query citing reference number to [email protected]
- Should you experience problems applying online, please send your applications to [email protected] Clearly indicate the reference number in the subject line.
- For further information, not applications please e-mail [email protected] on
Details about the HSRC can be found at www.hsrc.ac.za
Only applications that comply with the listed above requirements will be considered.
The HSRC is committed to accelerating the improvement in the proportion of its senior managers and research leaders who are black, female or disabled.
Closing date: 21 July 2021. We encourage applicants to submit prior to that date. Applicants who have not been contacted within eight weeks should assume that their application has been unsuccessful. Only candidates who are interviewed will be advised of the outcome of the interview.
The HSRC reserves the right to not make an appointment
APPLICATIONS FROM RECRUITMENT AGENCIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED