The Advanced Life Support Paramedic will supervise operations and personnel within all emergency medical operational capacity. Establish, implement, update, train, and enforce medical clinic procedures. Advise the medical staff and Managing Director on issues and activities related to medical operations. pal Accountabilities
- Enforces local Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for medical operations.
- Driving (Responding) and staffing ambulances and other emergency vehicles. Assessing patients, providing emergency treatment and making diagnoses. Monitoring and administering medication, pain relief and intravenous infusions within scope of practice. Using specialist equipment including ventilators and defibrillators, administering and reading ECGs. Transporting patients to hospital and continuing to provide treatment while in transit. Providing hospital staff with patient information including condition and treatment.
- Conducts medical training for contractors as required.
- Responsible for protection of company resources, medical supplies and equipment.
- Responsible for stock issuance and overall control.
- Monitors medical issues and emergency trends within area of operational capacity to ensure personnel are apprised of current medical threats and aware of preventative measures and risks.
- Keeps management informed of any health or safety related issues.
- Manages daily activities of crew personnel to ensure effective efficiencies in compliance with company, contractual and legal requirements.
- Responsible for control, documentation and distribution of narcotics.
- Reviews Electronic Medical Reporting forms or Paper Medical Reporting Forms at for proper documentation
- Conducts shift visits to ensure SOP’s are being followed. This must include periodic ambulance shifts to promote skill development.
- Ensures that all Patient Report Forms (PRFs) are completed correctly and up to standard.
- Provides feedback to the subordinate medics on the improvement of their skills and understanding of the SOP’s.
- Will be required to perform BAA or ILS medic duties.
- Marketing activities to provide the company profile and improve revenue.
- Daily vehicle maintenance which includes a pre and post-shift vehicle inspection and wash. Conduct a full equipment audit and inspection.
OTHER or ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops, coordinates and refines procedures.
- Responsible for administering disciplinary actions in accordance with the senior management.
- Provides training to subordinates.
- Provides guidance and direction to EMTs.
- Submits reports to the Managing Director as directed.
- Effectively communicates and makes prompt and accurate decisions to help achieve TAC-Pulse goals.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with internal and external customers.
- Responsible for shift roster.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Title of Direct Report(s): All Medical Personnel
Title of Supervisor: Managing Director
Knowledge & Skills
- Good communication skills are a must.
- Ability to read and interpret all required documents and write required reports and correspondence.
- Comprehensive understanding of emergency medicine.
- Knowledgeable in emergency rescue and stabilization.
- Must have extensive personnel management skills.
- Have in-depth knowledge of life-saving medical procedures.
- Have knowledge of advanced cardiology, to include the operation of Defibrillator equipment, accurate reading and diagnosis of cardiac strips, and ACLS algorithms with the appropriate drug treatment protocol.
- Be knowledgeable of Advanced Trauma Care, to include immediate assessment and treatment of any traumatic life-threatening injury, advanced airway management (Intubations, Surgical Cricothyrotomy), advanced invasive procedures (Needle Decompression, Chest Tube Thoracotomy), advanced Circulatory support.
- Have knowledge of general sick call procedures.
- Inventory management skills are required.
- Fundamental knowledge of advance communications procedures and equipment.
- Advance Life Support (ALS) certified and current with a refresher.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certified.
- Pre-hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) certified an advantage.
Experience & Education
- Current National CCA / N. Dip or B.Tech certification.
- Certification must be current with all applicable education/recertification requirements completed.
- 5 years experience in the medical field as a Paramedic preferred.
- MUST have active road experience within the past 12 months.
- 4 years of supervisory experience.
- University / College Degree Preferred.
- Previous instructor experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Code 10 & PrDP.
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
- Primary duty station(s) are located in Wolmaransstad & Klerksdorp, North West, and surrounding areas.
- Place of duty and environmental conditions can be austere, harsh, and work can be performed under life-threatening conditions.
- All employees will undergo Random Drug Testing.
South African Police Clearance
Must have a valid SAPS clearance certificate or be able to obtain one within 4 weeks of initial employment start date. The certificate must have been issued within the last 6 months. SAPS clearance certificate must be renewed annually. Only candidates with a “clean” record will be considered.
Ability to travel domestically.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as the comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.