Social Relief Of Distress Grant

Applicants must be:
– Above the age of 18;
– Unemployed;
– Not receiving any income;
–Once you’ve submitted your application for the R350 grant, you’ll probably want to know the progress its making. Not receiving any social grant;
– Not receiving any unemployment insurance benefit and does not qualify to receive unemployment insurance benefits;
– Not receiving a stipend from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme; and
– Not resident in a government funded or subsidised institution.

Prospective Applicants will need to provide the following compulsory information for processing of their applications:

– Identity Number;
– Name and Surname as captured in the ID (and initials);
– Gender and Disability;
– Banking details – Bank Name and Account Number;
– Contact details – Cell phone number;
– Proof of Residential Address;

In terms of Application process, an application for social relief of distress or a social grant may be lodged electronically over and above any other available means of lodging such applications. The measures applicable include sending a WhatsApp message to 082 046 8553 and selecting SASSA or an E-mail to [email protected]. We are still finalising additional access channels and including SMS, self-help desks and online application process.

How to apply: USSD: *134*7737#
E-mail: [email protected](link sends e-mail)
Call centre IVR: 0800 60 10 11

About applying for social relief of distress
Social relief of distress is temporary provision of assistance intended for persons in such a dire material need that they are unable to meet their families’ most basic needs.

This could be due to any of the following factors:

you need help while you wait for your children’s grants to be processed
a crisis or disaster has occurred (e.g. your house has burnt down)
you do not qualify for a grant, and you are in a desperate situation
you are unable to work for a period of less than six month because you are medically unfit
you are unable to get maintenance from the other parent of your child or children
the breadwinner in the family has died
the breadwinner has been sent to prison for a short time (less than six months)
you have been affected by a disaster, but the area or community in which you live has not been declared a disaster area.
What do you get?

The Social Relief of Distress may be in the form of a food parcel or a voucher to buy food. Some provinces give this assistance in the form of cash. Social Relief of Distress is given for a short time only – usually for up to three months, which may be extended for another three months.

What you should do
Apply for social relief of distress at your nearest South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office.
Submit your application with the following documents:
your 13-digit bar-coded identity document and your children’s birth certificates.
if your identity document and/or a birth certificate are not available:
an affidavit commissioned by a Justice of the Peace. The affidavit must contain a clause which indicates that provision of incorrect or inaccurate information will result in prosecution in terms of Section 21 of the Social Assistance Act, 2004.
a sworn statement by a reputable person who knows the applicant and the child. This may be from a councillor, traditional leader, social worker or minister of religion.
proof that an application for a birth certificate or identity document has been lodged with the Department of Home Affairs.
where applicable, a temporary identity document issued by the Department of Home Affairs.
a baptismal certificate.
a road to health clinic card.
a school report.
please note: No application can be processed without the sworn statement/affidavit.

If you do not have an identity document and birth certificates, an affidavit from your local police station, chief, councillor or religious leader may be enough proof.
Show proof that you:
have applied for a grant
have had an emergency (e.g. provide a police report that your house burnt down)
have tried to get maintenance
have no other support
are married, divorced, or single
have no income
have a short-term medical disability.
How long does it take
Your application will be processed immediately.
Once your application is submitted, it will be assessed for credibility and your genuine need for the service.
Even if you do not have all the documents, you will get your first month’s food parcel, voucher or cash.
Remember to take all the documents to the officer before the second month’s payment is due. If you do not, you may not get your second and third month’s food parcel, voucher or cash.
If there is no change in your circumstances after you have received the grant for three months, you may apply to have the grant extended for another three months.
How much does it cost
The service is free.

Forms to complete
The application form is not available online, but you can get it at your nearest SASSA office.