“Biodiversity preservation” is an area that needs special attention and allocation of time and resources. The involvement of talented and enthusiastic youth will help to manage, preserve, and improve the biodiversity of the country.
To increase the participation of youth in such areas many bursary programs have been started by various organizations. One such program is the SANBI Biological Bursary that tries to help the students who are interested to study in the related fields.
The South African National Biodiversity Institute was founded in the year 2004 and since then it functions to contribute to the sustainable development of the country. The organization works primarily to provide access to information on biodiversity. It also aims to carry out research and gather information on the country’s biodiversity and at the same time also plays a role in managing and conserving it.
SANBI actively participates in enabling the rehabilitation and restoration of the ecosystem to ensure that the Botanical and Zoological gardens are enhanced for education and entertainment.
Biological Invasions Student Bursaries for 2022
The SANBI bursary program is curated to aid the students to pursue postgraduate studies in the academic year 2022. Students who want to undertake Honors, Master’s, or Doctoral qualifications can apply for this bursary program.
One must study towards the focus areas that include the following:
- Status report and monitoring
- Eradication planning and co-ordination
- Risk analysis
- Incursion detection and response planning
The organization provides 4 Honors bursaries, 8 Master’s bursaries, and 4 doctoral bursaries. Since the project expenditure varies depending upon the project requirement, the amount will be covered by the bursary. The value of the bursary shall depend upon the policies set by SANBI and DFFE.
Students applying for this bursary are required to complete their studies within the allocated time. Master’s and Doctoral students who do not complete their qualifications within the stipulated time will be considered for one-year internship in project development.
Project development interns should re-apply for the bursary for the following year if they wish to receive monetary assistance.
To be eligible to receive the SANBI bursary, students must fulfill the following eligibility criteria. Failing to meet the eligibility requirements will disqualify the student from receiving the bursary.
- Students must be citizens of South Africa
- One must be studying or be willing to study towards a postgraduate qualification (Honors, Master’s, or Doctoral)
- Applicants should register themselves at a recognized university in South Africa
- Students should be enthusiastic and must have an intention for researching to help with the understanding and management of biological invasions
- Only those students who are accepted to study at registered institutions will be eligible for the bursary
How to Apply?
To apply for the bursary program, students are required to fill up an online application form. The application form must be accompanied by the following documents. In case any of the documents are missing, the application may be rejected.
- Certified copy of ID document
- Curriculum vitae
- 2 reference letters from academic supervisors
- A written agreement from a prospective supervisor
- A project outline of one page for Honors applications
- 2-page project outline for Masters and Doctoral applications
- Certified copy of academic records
- Certified copy of highest qualification completed
- All the applications must be sent via email to [email protected] and [email protected]
- Applicants must insert the words “SANBI Biological Invasions Bursaries 2022 application” in the email subject line
- All the documents must be combined into a single pdf file before emailing
- The total size of the file must not be more than 20MB.
The last date of application is 29 October 2021
For queries related to the application process of the bursary students can contact the following:
Name: Ms Rene du Toit
Email: [email protected]
For academic queries students can contact the following:
Name: Prof. John Wilson
Email: [email protected]
If the bursary has already been closed, you are requested not to contact SANBI. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/
The post SANBI Biological Invasions Student Bursaries 2022 appeared first on All Bursaries SA.