General Manager needed urgently: APPLY NOW
Title of job: General Manager: Financial Business Partner – Consumer & Technology
Number of subordinates: 7
MTN Job Level: 4
Location of the job: CFO Solid Reporting Line: CFO MTN SA Dotted Reporting Line: Mission/ Core purpose of the Job
1. Mission/ Core purpose of the Job
The purpose of a Finance Business Partner: Consumer & Technology is to influence business decisions aligned to MTN SA’s strategy and understand the commercial implications of the decisions in the short, medium and longer term. The Finance Business Partner enables value creation and problem solving by understanding, partnering with, and challenging the business.
The Finance Business Partner drives better commercial decisions and has the right impact for Finance stakeholders. He/she is adaptable, with a partnering-focused delivery model that creates value. He/she manages a value team that is focused on long term development opportunities, linking from individual action to MTN SA strategy. Is responsible for providing forward-looking, strategic, knowledge-based insight to influence key business decisions.
The Finance Business Partner is accountable for ensuring business performance is accurately recorded and reported and works closely with the FP&A Centre of Excellence (CoE) to support this. They work together to provide first class data and insight: Financial and Non-Financial, foster a Digital culture and change mind set.
The Finance Business Partner provides a single point of contact to their client business/es, pulling in key Finance subject matter expertise behind them to spearhead advice and solutions for their business clients.
The Finance Business Partner: Consumer & Technology is responsible for the following BU’s
2. Context (Global influences, environmental / industry demands, organisational mission etc.)
Highly dynamic and fluctuating Telecommunications industry
Highly competitive market with new and established competitors
Fast moving industry
Changes in the global GSM and ICT market affects developments in future revenue environments
Interdependency of systems and the need to understand other systems
Changes in the business, will impact on the business plan, processes, and reporting
High cross-functional dependency to deliver timeously
Compliance requirements from MTN Group for the various disciplines that include planning, reporting, commissions management and revenue accounting and assurance
3. Key Performance Areas: Core, essential responsibilities / outputs of the position (KPA’s)
Strategic & Financial Planning
Market Analysis: Increase focus on the TechCo market’s evolving demands and opportunity. Proactively drive building diversified TechCo Revenue pipeline, predict and anticipate changes with a focus on business agility and flexibility
Strategic Business Conduit: Act as an strategic conduit for management information between MTN SA and Business Unit leadership teams. Collaborate with business stakeholders to deliver MTN SA’s strategic priorities.
Appraisal of Investment Decisions: Provide investment appraisal support to ensure investments are aligned to MTN SA’s strategic objectives and ensure the return on resources is maximised
Project Appraisal: Support with business case preparation and benefit tracking for strategic investments
Change Management: Establish a culture of agility and openness, support the delivery of change initiatives to aid changing business models from MTN SA to business unit
Co-create Business Strategy
Support, enable and monitor a dynamic, agile, iterative Strategic Plan
Provide insights driven business understanding of Budget Results
Develop and monitor integrated Financial and Operating Plan(s)
Planning Budgeting & Forecasting
Strategic Planning & Budget Setting: Develop overarching PB&F framework for business unit plans, provide commercial, financial analytics and insights on short- and long-term evaluations
Budgetary Controls: Identify root causes to cost pressures and investigate opportunities for better cost management.
Resource Allocation: Advise on optimal resource allocation to support strategic ambition
Deliver integrated and accurate Machine-Enabled Forecasting / Planning Data Collection
Deliver integrated and accurate Machine Enabled Budgeting Data Collection / Reporting
Provide Capital Project Prioritisation enabled by effective PPPs
Guide on Capital Allocation Informed by Advanced Analytics
Deliver Real Time, Predictive Forecasts and Executive Reports
Business Performance Management Reporting
Performance Management: Tackle sub-optimal performance, ensure challenging businesses achieve true potential by aligning commercial, financial decisions with strategic KPIs
Understand and influence key cost drivers, optimise value from the commercial cost base within the function
Review, challenge and influence capex spend / business cases for investment made on advertising product enhancement
Formulate strategies with the support of commercial and operational teams to address trends in loss of contract customers / churn
Understand and challenge top accounts and deal size, identifying patterns (e.g. reduction in sales, volume of new customers this year vs. last year) and reasons for these trends and understanding the commercial impact
Provide the following in support of Business Performance Management:
Trended, Predictive Metrics
Real-Time Business Performance Tracking
Automated Strategic Initiatives Tracking
Integrated, standardised, and automated Cost Efficiency & Optimisation Reporting
On-Demand, Business/Ad-hoc Reports
Identify New Reporting Requirements
Customer and Product Profitability Analysis
Pricing and Contracting Management: Influence management approach and negotiations. Build competitive negotiation position with key business partners (e.g. Agents), platforms and device manufacturers. Support with contract negotiation, pricing and the delivery of financial, commercial commitments
Promotion and Advertisement Optimisation: Advise and assess campaign impacts and effectiveness with data driven insights. Influence rollout strategy
Guide Channel Developments enabled by predictive analytics and integration
Guide Capital Mgmt. Enabled by Analytics, automation performed in real time
Provide Pricing Decision Support enabled by advanced analytics
Provide Outsource/ Insource Analysis enabled by advanced analytics
Deliver Future Focused Customer Insights
Deliver Scenario Planning and Visualization
Provide Real-Time Competitor Benchmarks and Insights
Provide cross functional commercial decision support enabled by advanced analytics
Support AI-Informed M&A / Divestiture Financial Decisions
Guide Profit Acceleration and Value Creation Initiatives
Conduct Macro-Economic Trend Sensing
Financial Analysis and Decision Support
Insight & Analysis: Provide strategic insight and cross functional analysis decision support in key areas including:
Forward Looking Insights into Profitability
Timely and Actionable Financial Narratives
Cost and Pricing Advanced Analytics
Data & Insights-Informed Decision Making
Predictive Analytics for Issue/Risk Identification
Financial Impact of Operational Decisions
FBP – Financial Control
Risk Management: Support the business to assess external and internal environment, identify and mitigate commercial, financial, and digital transformation risks.
Undertake Proactive Risk & Opportunity Identification and Management
Maintain and renew Policies Processes and Procedures
Conduct Operational Planning Management
Establish and maintain effective processes for Internal Controls and governance
Provide Cognitive Enabled Working Capital Mgmt.
People Leadership and Organisational Capability Building
Apply best team management practices throughout assigned projects and as required.
Guide and enable the upskilling of the team throughout assigned projects.
Act as an ambassador and role model for the Finance by living the brand values and vital behaviours.
Ensure a culture of continuous evaluation and improvement.
Drive a culture of high performance, accountability, and consequence management.
Leadership Skills Definitions
Challenge and influence – Provide appropriate challenge and develop a constructive tension with the business to test assumptions, influence key decisions and push stakeholders outside of their ‘comfort zone’ to consider other options.
Communication and collaboration – Clearly articulate point of view and successfully engage with others to facilitate understanding. Encourage communication across the business, as well as within the Finance team, to prevent working in silos.
Trust and respect – Interact with others in a way that gives confidence in their understanding of the business and own intentions. Build respect and act objectively to earn the status of a credible and trusted advisor by internal customers.
Relationship management – Develop and sustain strong working relationships with the business and across the Finance function. Obtain buy in through winning ‘hearts and minds’, whilst maintaining financial independence and integrity at all times.
People and development – Proactively assess own development and that of the team, sharing best practice across the function. Lead and develop people through either a direct reporting relationship or through virtual management.
Change leadership – Champion change by inspiring commitment in others and support the team to initiate change. Work across the business and with other Finance Business Partners to ensure change is managed effectively and colleagues are bought in.
Business Knowledge Definitions
Commercial acumen – Translate core business decisions into commercial outcomes with an awareness of the potential impacts across the wider business. Uses in depth business knowledge to build credibility across the organization.
Internal customer focus – Monitor and review internal and external data to critically assess emerging themes. Communicate a clear vision of the future direction of the business. Provide financial and commercial support to business development opportunities.
Product knowledge – Detailed knowledge of Business Unit’s products, offerings and routes to market, as well as the corresponding impact on the business.
External market knowledge – Understand BU’s competitive landscape and proactively assesses emerging themes in the external market (through use of competitor information, benchmarking and external data). Apply this information when influencing decisions in the business.
Strategic advice and innovation – Understand how their business area fits into the overarching strategy and proactively works with the business to drive strategic decision making in order to optimise long term business outcomes. Actively seek new opportunities and respond to issues and challenges in an innovative way, taking action to improve business performance, increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
Technical Finance Definitions
Technical accounting – Add value to the business by providing commercial accounting advice and coaching the business through key financial concepts. Have proficient understanding of accounting standards and is able to translate the impact of these on the business (e.g. revenue and cost lines).
Analytical skills – Able to interpret data and identify themes and issues that the business needs to be aware of. Demonstrate strength in interpreting data to draw conclusions and deliver key messages appropriately to different audiences.
Strategic thinking – Think and act broadly, viewing the ‘bigger picture’ across the key issues facing Finance and the wider business. Demonstrate a clear understanding of the strategic business drivers and is able to use them to influence key business decisions.
Governance and risk management – Monitor and identify risks, working with the business to develop appropriate mitigations and provide advice based on awareness of risk appetite. Understand and implement MTN SA’s governance procedures and is able to deploy across all elements of the role, using key skills to identify and act on dependencies across the organization.
Supervisory / Leadership / Managerial Complexity: Refers to the responsibilities for directing, guiding, motivating, and influencing others.
- Recruit, develop and retain people with outstanding skills, qualifications, and potential
- Define the divisional KPAs and KPIs that will be cascaded down to each area
- Performance management and identification of training needs
- Accountable for a customer centric culture and shift to legendary service provision
- Build talent by identifying and developing new leaders for the respective environment
- Employee relations and collaborative teamwork
- Manage Employment Equity and diversity
- Coaching and guidance of subordinates
- Build professionalism, loyalty, and commitment to the organisation
- Communicate actively and effectively resolving any potential conflicts that may arise
- Living the MTN Brand – influence employees’ behaviour
- Display an understanding of the strategic nature of effective leadership in the organisation
Required Skills & Capabilities e.g.. teaching, report writing or specific skills/abilities such as computing or the ability to work without supervision
- Experience in working within the Tech, Media, and Telecoms Industry
- Ability to manipulate large volumes of data and experience in carrying out detailed analysis of data, especially during the year end to provide the results that are easily understood to external auditors and senior management. Understanding big data tools and technology
- Ability to plan, organise and prioritise workload, including co-ordinating with others and ensuring that statutory and other deadlines are met.
- To work as part of a team and independently to deliver a common goal or objective
- Ability to deal with difficult situations and make decisions on the best course of action
- Self-starter/ Initiative/creativity/innovation
- Strategic thinking, problem solving, critical thinking and analytical skills
- Proficiency in relationship building, networking, persuasion, and influential skills. Excellent verbal, written communication, and negotiation skills
- Good technical, business, and global acumen. Future focused
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Appropriately challenging and supporting management of the actual budget/forecast outputs
- Ensuring the financial control framework is operating effectively
- Working through risks/opportunities and issues with business leaders
- Benchmarking performance – internal and external
- Allocating resources to the biggest value opportunities
- Business Cases Strategic capacity allocated to support delivery of financial requirements
- Efficient budgeting process
- Customer satisfaction i.e. functional unit heads
- Provide financial advice
- Provide requested data for customers of Finance
- Provide in-depth financial advice / analysis
- Financial advice sought on important decisions
- Financial advice sought on all Decisions (where you can add value)
- There are tangible examples of where your advice has made an impact
- Customers Finance recommend your help to others
- You understand the landscape/ interdependencies of decisions
- You are a trusted strategic business advisor
4. Job Requirements (Education, Experience and Competencies)
CIMA or equivalent/ MBA / Masters
- Senior management track record of 10 years or more; with at least 3 years in relevant sector/ industry as per relevant role
- Experience working in a global/multinational enterprise (understanding emerging markets advantageous)
- Worked across diverse cultures and geographies
- Large Corporate/commercial accounting experience (at least 7-10) with last 3 years working with Board/ exco/senior management.
- Extensive reporting and analysis background
- Familiarity with BI & Reporting Tools
- Solid presentation preparation to Board/ exco/senior management level
Behaviours and competencies (Qualified candidates for this important position will therefore need to demonstrate the following):
Head – Big Picture Focus (25)
Strategy Formulators – Formulates divisional strategies aligned to overarching strategies for execution
Decisive Problem Solver – Has the mental agility to understand complex business challenges and provide effective solutions through effective influencing
Innovative Value Creator – Creates an environment for commercial and enterprise innovation to maximize business impact
Heart – Emotionally Intelligent (35)
- Culture and Change Champion – Drives ethical business practices by holding others accountable for demonstrating the MTN values and vital behaviours
- Inspiring People Leader – Is self-aware and leads/coaches others to develop capabilities for realising individual potential
- Relationship Builder – Collaborates across teams and builds networks and relationships with internal and external stakeholders
Hands – Results Focused (30)
- Results Achiever – Produces sustainable enterprise results through ethical practices
Operationally Astute – Plans, organises and sets controls in place for delivery of strategies
Agility – to work in a matrix and complex environment where change happens at a rapid pace
Courage – to share ideas, think out of the box
Ownership – to see the bigger picture and take ownership by thinking and acting beyond the role
Analytical – able to break complex reporting into user stories and dashboards for end-users that drives decision making
- As per MTN DOA
6. Collaboration (Formal and Informal Relationships)
- Direct reports: Junior BU FBPs
- Matrix reports: n/a
- Key customers: Business Units as main internal customers
- Key suppliers: IS; FinOps, FP&A, RAFM; CRB
- Relations, etc.: Marketing, Sales & Service, IS, Network Group, Group functions, external and internal auditors
- IS; BI; BRM; MTN subsidiaries; Network Group; HR; Legal and Regulatory; Financial Management