Forecaster (x2) – South African Weather Service (SAWS)
Total Salary Package: Negotiable
Centre: Durban Weather Office
Closing Date: 15 September 2023
The South African Weather Service (SAWS) is a Section 3(a) public entity under the Ministry of Forestry, Fisheries, and Environment (DFFE). A Board governs it, and it holds recognition as an authoritative voice for weather and climate-related services in South Africa. SAWS is also a member of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and fulfills various international obligations on behalf of the government. SAWS aims to become a Weather and Climate Centre of Excellence, providing innovative solutions to create a weather-smart region, sustainable development, and economic growth.
The Forecaster is responsible for delivering the highest standard of forecasting products and services to the general public, commercial clients, and aviation clients. This role contributes to the safety of life and property by ensuring accurate and timely weather forecasts and warnings.
Key Performance Areas:
- Work in shifts, including weekends and public holidays.
- Issue weather and climate information, including accurate and timely warnings and forecasts, within the Western and Northern Cape region or other specified areas.
- Provide specialized services, such as aviation forecasting, severe weather forecasting for local disaster management structures, and forecasts for various weather-sensitive sectors.
- Monitor weather events, analyze local synoptic and mesoscale weather observations, and support commercial contracts, including those for Koeberg Nuclear Plant operations.
- Disseminate weather information through various channels, such as radio stations, TV, and SAWS social media platforms.
- Promote the SAWS brand within the Western and Northern Cape region through presentations, exhibitions, and media interviews.
- Collaborate with other regional offices and national forecasting centers within SAWS to fulfill the organization’s mandate.
- Process, analyze, and quality control meteorological data for the compilation of meteorological products and services.
- Self-development to stay updated on new forecasting theories and techniques.
- Assist with implementing and complying with SAWS’ Quality Management System.
Minimum Requirements and Attributes:
- BSc Hons degree in Meteorology or Honours in a relevant Atmospheric Science, compliant with WMO BIP-M (Basic Instruction Package for Meteorologists) with Forecasting Training.
- Extensive knowledge, skills, and experience in operational meteorology.
- Ability to interpret numerical weather products.
- ICAO AMF competency certificate.
- Ability to analyze and interpret weather charts, weather observations, satellite imagery, radar imagery, and more.
- Computer/programming literacy is an advantage.
- Must obtain a valid driver’s license within 3 months of employment.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should register as users on the SAWS website here to apply for the position. Upload your comprehensive CV with certified copies of qualifications.
For inquiries about the position, please contact Mr. Denny Maluleke at Tel. (012) 367 6091.
- Recruitment agency submissions will not be considered.
- Preference will be given to candidates with disabilities, females, Africans, Indians, and Coloureds (AIC) in line with SAWS EE targets.
- Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within 3 months after the closing date of this advertisement should consider their application unsuccessful.
- The organization reserves the right not to fill this position. SAWS is an equal opportunity employer.
The post Forecaster (x2) – South African Weather Service (SAWS) appeared first on CAREERS PLUG.