The Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Programme Initiative, also known as DAFI (derived from the German translation Deutsche Akademische Flüchtlings Initiative Albert Einstein), is a scholarship program designed for refugee students interested in pursuing undergraduate degree studies in their host country. With the generous support of the German Government and additional private donors, the UNHCR has been able to assist over 21,000 young refugees since 1992.
The primary goal of the DAFI scholarship is to empower these young individuals, with the aspiration that they will contribute their knowledge, skills, and leadership to the refugee community. This contribution serves to foster social cohesion, peaceful coexistence, and the development of host communities during displacement.
DAFI Scholarship 2024
The German Government has announced DAFI Scholarship Programme for students for the academic year 2024.
DAFI will award the scholarship to Refugees pursuing undergraduate studies in South Africa, their country of asylum. Scholarships will be awarded based on two primary criteria: applicants’ background conditions and academic potential.
The bursary will cover specific expenses up to a predetermined limit, including registration fees, book allowance, tuition fees, monthly subsistence allowance (for essential living costs like food, rent, and local travel), medical aid, and monthly data allowance.
The scholarship is granted for one academic year, with the possibility of extension subject to fund availability, satisfactory academic performance, and active involvement in DAFI program initiatives like the DAFI Alumni Club and community engagement projects.
Candidates who make it to the shortlist will receive an invitation for a selection interview. Scholars are encouraged to make positive contributions to their community, both through their academic and professional endeavors and their personal engagement. This includes providing support and inspiration to other community members, with a special focus on refugee children and youth.
Before applying, applicants must meet the specified minimum entry criteria. Failure to meet all of these requirements will result in the non-consideration of your application.
- Possess a valid Refugee permit/Section 24 permit.
- Be under the age of 35 years.
- Have completed secondary school with above-average grades.
- Be currently enrolled or have the intention to pursue an Undergraduate qualification (Please note that funding for Masters qualifications is not available).
- Have successfully applied for full-time study at a government or public South African institution.
- Maintain a minimum overall average of 65% for your undergraduate degree.
- Lack any other financial means of support for your tertiary studies.
- Demonstrate a strong academic record, especially when applying for specialized courses such as Engineering or Medicine.
How to Apply?
You must submit your applications online at: DAFI Scholarship Application 2024
If you have previously submitted an application for this scholarship through the StudyTrust platform, it is now necessary to submit a new application on the newly established Dafi Online Platform.
To complete your application, it is mandatory to provide copies of the following supporting documents. Please note that the submission of these materials is required. Failure to include any of these items may result in the disqualification of your application.
- Photograph (head and shoulders)
- Copy of section 24 permit
- High school transcripts, Certification of completion or Diploma (with validation by the South African Ministry of Education to confirm international recognition, if issued outside South Africa).
- Admission or provisional admission proof to a higher education institution.
- Complete academic record/transcript of prior learning or previously completed credits if you have a prior higher education enrollment.
- Previous enrollment documents, including academic results, proof of registration, and fee statements if you were previously enrolled in higher education.
- Proof of household income for parents or guardians (latest payslips if employed, affidavit if unemployed, or death certificate if applicable).
The application deadline is 10 November 2023.
To obtain information about this scholarship program, kindly reach out to your nearest UNHCR office or DAFI partner.
Please go through the DAFI Scholarship FAQ’s before submitting your queries.
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/
Don’t miss out on current updates, kindly like us on Facebook & follow us on @AllBursariesSA Twitter account OR leave a comment below for further inquiries.