About Babette Taute
The formation of the Babette Taute Honours Scholarship dates back to 1992, following the passing of Babette Taute. Administered by Sanlam, this scholarship was established through the generous bequest of Babette Taute. The late benefactor allocated the majority of her estate to establish a bursary trust, specifically designed to support students pursuing English studies in South Africa.
Babette Taute Honours Scholarship 2024
The Babette Taute Trust is welcoming student applications for the Babette Taute Honours Scholarship for the academic year 2024.
This scholarship will be granted to support Honours studies in any field related to English language and literature, encompassing applied language studies.
Annually, scholarships are granted for postgraduate English studies in South Africa. Selection criteria include academic merit and various other forms of merit such as demonstrated leadership in cultural or social domains, the quality of publications and writing, and excellence in translation or English teaching.
The scholarship offers funding of up to R75,000 for a one-year Honours program. Notification of application outcomes will be sent to applicants in early January 2024. Successful candidates must submit their mid-year and final results for 2023, along with a brief cover letter outlining their progress and future plans.
Before submitting an application, individuals must ensure they meet the prescribed minimum entry criteria outlined below. Failure to comply with all stipulated requirements will result in the non-consideration of the application.
- Applicants should either be South African citizens or hold permanent residence status in South Africa.
- Individuals must be enrolled in full-time studies pursuing an Honours degree within the fields of English language, literature, and applied language studies.
- Applicants should be registered at an accredited and recognized university in South Africa.
- A strong academic record is a requirement for consideration.
- Applicants must not have been awarded any other bursaries exceeding a total value of R120,000. However, having additional bursary funding under this specified value is permissible.
How to Apply?
Download the Babette Taute Scholarship Application Form 2024 and complete it.
Please include the phrase “Babette Taute Application 2024 : (Surname of Author)” in the subject line of the email.
Kindly provide legible copies of the required supporting documents along with your fully filled application form. The submission of these documents is a mandatory requirement. Failure to include any of these items may result in disqualification of your application.
- Certified copy of South African ID or proof of permanent residence in South Africa
- Curriculum Vitae, encompassing academic and other accomplishments and activities from the past 2 to 3 years (in 2 pages max)
- A written piece in any genre, demonstrating your talents (in 500 words max)
- Brief outline of the Honours course you plan to register for in 2024 and how it aligns with The Babette Taute Scholarship’s focus on English (in 100 words max)
- Details of any other bursaries, scholarships, or fellowships applied for in the 2024 academic year (include the name of the funding source and amount)
- Full university academic record/transcripts to date (on university letterhead or certified copy)
- Evidence justifying your eligibility for the scholarship (e.g., proof of merit awards, excellence as a translator, teacher, scriptwriter, interpreter, or other language practitioner)
- Contact details of 2 academic referees who can attest to your proficiency as an English student (refer to the application form for further details)
- Submission of final results (due by no later than 15 December 2023)
- Final results for English, endorsed by the Head of Department, Course Convenor (please notify the application email below if these results are unavailable).
The application deadline is 17 November 2023. Please submit your application before the closing date.
If you have any inquiries regarding this bursary program, please reach out to Sanlam:
Contact person 1: Naaznien Parker (Email: [email protected])
Contact person 2: Helene Schneider (Email: [email protected])
When submitting a query, kindly include the following in your email subject line: “Babette Taute 2024 Query: (Surname of Author)“
Please do not send any queries after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/
Don’t miss out on current updates, kindly like us on Facebook & follow us on @AllBursariesSA Twitter account OR leave a comment below for further inquiries.