About Thebe Foundation
Thebe Foundation, an independent trust founded in February 2011, is a key component of Thebe Group’s corporate social responsibility initiatives. The foundation creates meaningful relationships between Thebe, its subsidiaries, and economically marginalised groups, all to advance Thebe’s corporate social investment policy. The foundation deliberately gets involved to promote socio-economic transformation, focusing on education, enterprise, and supplier development (ESD).
Thebe Foundation’s unique selling point is its ability to capitalise on the combined goodwill, development commitment, business expertise, and talents of Thebe Group and its partners. The foundation implements programmes that change communities to make them more prosperous and compassionate in the future by working together. The African expression that defines the foundation’s philosophy emphasises the significance of never forgetting one’s origins. This highlights Thebe Foundation’s constant dedication to its main goal of promoting community development.
Thebe Foundation is essentially a social responsibility leader who actively promotes community growth and well-being. It demonstrates Thebe Group’s dedication to both business success and long-term, constructive change in the communities it serves through focused projects.
Thebe Foundation Dr EJ Mabuza Scholarship 2024
The Dr EJ Mabuza Scholarship Fund was created in 2016 to honour the life and contributions of Dr Enos Mabuza, who, along with Walter Sisulu, Beyers Naude, and Nelson Mandela, was pivotal in the formation of Thebe Investment Corporation.
This programme aims to support financially disadvantaged college students and foster graduates who are successful in the workplace, confident in their African identity and heritage, and skilled both academically and socially.
Students enrolling in the following subjects at public tertiary institutions for their bachelor’s or diploma programmes will be eligible to receive the scholarship:
- Corporate Finance,
- Mining Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Education/B.Ed. (specialising in Mathematics and Technology )
- Renewable energy
- Water and energy
- Artisan Skills Programmes, e.g., Electricians, plumbing, mechanics, Solar voltaic service technicians, Millwright, Media Information and Communication programmes
Thebe Foundation Dr EJ Mabuza Scholarship will comprehensively cover the following expenses for successfully selected eligible candidates:
- Tuition fees
- Expenses for textbooks
- Residence or accredited accommodation costs
- Meals and transport allowance for students who are living at home
Thebe Foundation is in charge of overseeing the programme, which offers continuous assistance for students to make sure they are supported along their academic path and can graduate successfully.
To apply for the Thebe Foundation Dr EJ Mabuza Scholarship , interested candidates must fulfil the following requirements for admittance. Please keep in mind that if you do not complete all of them, your application will not be reviewed:
- Applicants must be below 35 years of age.
- Applicants must be South African citizens.
- Applicants must be unemployed and pursuing a FULL-TIME qualification (diploma, advanced diploma, Degree/Honours. For master’s and PhD applicants, the research topic will form part of the selection criteria.
- Applicants must be pursuing their qualification level for the first time (i.e., not repeating a degree, honours, etc)
- Strong academic record maintaining an average pass rate of at least 60% or above
- Household income is below R600K per year.
- Black students (Africans, Coloureds, and Indians)
- Applicants must be pursuing a qualification or intending to pursue a qualification at a public tertiary institution registered with DHET and SAQA. (This includes community colleges and Technical Vocational Education)
How to apply?
You can apply for the Thebe Foundation Dr EJ Mabuza Scholarship by filling out the online application form. You can check their official website for more information.
After the successful submission of the application form, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure you fill out the application form completely. Applications that include false information or are incomplete will be rejected immediately. If your application is rejected for any reason, you will be notified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Please prepare the following documents before filling out the application form:
- A one-page statement sets out why you have chosen your field of study and how you intend to use it after graduation.
- A certified copy of a valid South African identity document
- Recently certified parents or guardians’ valid South African ID (or death certificate if deceased)
- Proof of household income (certified copy of SASSA documents or three-month payslips of parents or guardians): Please attach affidavits confirming unemployment if the parent(s) are unemployed
Scholar in Matric
- Grade 11 and 12-Term-2 Report with official school stamp
Gap Year Student
- Certified copy of valid matriculation certificate (Grade 12)
- 2023 Official Proof of Registration at the University for the 2023 academic year
- Certified copy of the latest Official academic transcript (combined document required for applicants that have enrolled at multiple institutions during their tertiary studies)
- Department of Labour Employment Equity Act (EEA1) Form and a Doctor’s Letter for applicants with a disability
- Documents for another awarded scholarship
- A copy of the 2024 acceptance letter from an accredited institution
- All certified documents must be less than 3 months old.
- If you have multiple documents for one submission, please combine/scan them into one file that you can upload.
- A completed consent form signed by their parent or legal guardian and a certified copy of their identity proof is required for applicants under the age of eighteen to meet POPI requirements.
The last date of the application is November 17, 2023, at 12 midday.
In case of any queries about this scholarship programme, you can contact Thebe Foundation by sending a message with your name and email address through the contact-to-action button on their website.
Please do not send any queries after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/
Don’t miss out on current updates, kindly like us on Facebook & follow us on @AllBursariesSA Twitter account OR leave a comment below for further inquiries.